Customize your Colorado National Parks travel guide based on your road trip or airport approach to the parks. On the form above, select to receive trip information directly from vacation partners for the regions you will be vacationing in.
On the Way to Rocky Mountain National Park
Plan your road trip to Colorado's most popular and largest national park. Stop in these Colorado and Wyoming destinations that give you quick access to the park.
- Ridgeline Hotel - Explore the park, then relax in our well-appointed guest rooms. Travelers enjoy regional cuisines in our dining room and lounge, a heated atrium pool/whirlpool, WiFi and more.
- YMCA of the Rockies - Choose between the YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center on the Rocky Mountain National Park's east side or YMCA of the Rockies Snow Mountain Ranch on the west side for great activities and lodging options.
- Cheyenne, Wyoming - Cheyenne is a big town by Wyoming's standards and provides a fantastic authentic Western experience. For starters it's home to the largest outdoor rodeo in the world, Cheyenne Frontier Days. In addition, visitors will enjoy the Cheyenne Depot, the Big Boy Steam Engine, the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, the Railway Trolley, the Historic Governor's Mansion.
- Laramie, Wyoming - Explore a colorful historic past and some of the region’s best scenery. Find unparalleled adventure within a short drive of the city or visit the historic downtown with great lodging, art culture, nightlife and unique shopping.
- Colorado State Parks & Wildlife - Colorado’s 41 state parks are places to have fun, get away, recreate and re-create in beautiful settings. Book your camping reservations or find activities across the State.
- River Run RV Resort - This brand new resort on Rocky Mountain National Park’s west side has gorgeous accommodations from vacation home rentals to Airstreams to campsites. The property offers endless activities including paddleboarding, a yoga lawn and even a mini bowling alley.
- Visit Grand County - Grand County is authentically Colorado. Located on Rocky Mountain National Park’s west side you’ll find charming towns like Grand Lake, gorgeous ski areas like Winter Park Mountain Resort and unparalleled outdoor opportunities. Check out Colorado’s longest alpine slide, hike 600-miles of trails or soak at Hot Sulphur Springs.
- Western Riviera - As the only lakeside hotel and cabins in Grand Lake, Colo., you’ll be able to watch boats on the lake and swimming moose from your room. Located just minutes from the park’s West Entrance, you’ll be perfectly poised to explore all this beautiful part of the country has to offer.
- Carbon County, Wyoming - Carbon County is a year-round destination for anyone who enjoys the great outdoors. We say, “Star count is more important than thread count."
On the Way to Mesa Verde National Park
The greater Four Corners area where Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona meet showcase ancient human history, diverse culinary treats and beautiful mountain landscapes. Add these nearby destinations in Colorado, Utah and New Mexico to complete your dream vacation.
- Farmington, New Mexico - Farmington is your ticket to unlimited adventure. Rugged, wild scenery coupled with unique culture, it’s here that outdoor lovers and active families thrive.
- Mesa Verde Country - The welcoming communities of Cortez, Dolores, and Mancos nearby Mesa Verde National Park offer comfy accommodations, world-class dining, microbreweries and wineries, all kinds of outdoor fun, and visitor services.
On the Way to Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
The areas in Colorado and New Mexico surrounding this natural phenomena includes wildlife habitats, hot springs and world-class art.
- Alamosa, Colorado - Come visit Alamosa, home of the Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve. Or, ride the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad, camp, fish, hike, and more!
- South Fork, Colorado - Don't let this sleepy town tucked into the folds of the mountains fool you. Its small size is counteracted by the extraordinary amount of energy its 350 year-round residents generate through outdoor recreation.
- Trinidad, Colorado - Hike up a volcano, see cowboy art, or stroll past a world-class skate park. Expect the unexpected when you visit this town on the edge of Colorado’s border with New Mexico.
- Santa Fe County, New Mexico - For the adventurous traveler who craves truly authentic experiences, here is the destination that feeds the soul and energizes the spirit. Enjoy world-class hiking, biking, skiing, invigorating spa and wellness retreats, and a celebrated local cuisine.
- Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad - The ride of your life awaits where 64 miles of narrow-gauge railroad track stretch from Antonito, Colo. to Chama, N.M. The train ride, which starts from either end, passes through some of the most gorgeous and untouched country in Colorado and New Mexico.
- Creede, Colorado - Dotted with art galleries, boutiques and cafes, Creede is one of Colorado’s best-kept secrets. Creede offers incredible theater, a charming downtown and fun outdoor activities.
On the Way to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Dinosaur National Monument and Colorado National Monument
The region of northwest Colorado and nearby Utah is full of steep canyons, rocky pillars, dinosaur bones and wild horses. Visit three national parks and monuments within a few days by basing your vacation in one of the gateway destinations.
- Moffat County, Colorado - The 1.7 million acres of pristine, picturesque public lands, abundant wildlife, wild horses, and untamed rivers define Moffat Country.
- Flaming Gorge Country - Explore an unspoiled playground of stunning natural features. Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area offers year-round adventure for families of all ages. Scenic Trails. Superb Boating. DIY Rafting. Trophy Fishing. Wow.
- OARS - An OARS whitewater rafting trip through Dinosaur National Monument on the Green or the Yampa River in Colorado includes paddling through fun, splashy rapids, camping on big sandy beaches, enjoying hearty, healthy meals, and a night sky like you’ve never experienced before.
- Fruita, Colorado - Colorado National Monument and the surrounding area is a great place to make unforgettable memories with your family. World-renowned mountain biking trails, dinosaur fossils and enticing river and lake oases make Fruita a land of adventure.
- Visit Delta County - Near Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, local wineries, farms and ranches offer tours and dinners. Or experience the the sparkling lakes tucked into the meadows on Grand Mesa and the glistening walls in Escalante Canyon.
- Palisade, Colorado - Sample Palisade’s estate bottled and small batch wine. Plus experience some of the best recreational opportunities in Colorado, like fishing, hiking, biking, golfing and skiing.
Colorado's Front Range and Central Mountains
Plan your vacation along the foothills where Colorado's plains hit the Rocky Mountains. This area of Colorado includes the greater Denver metro area plus quaint mountain towns along the way to Colorado Springs, and all the hidden gems in the central mountains.
- Wild Animal Sanctuary - More than ten thousand acres on two Colorado sites, where rescued animals from horrific captive situations can live and roam freely within large natural habitats with others of their own kind.
- Morgan County - It's where the prairie meets the sky! Only an hour drive from metro Denver, find clear blue skies, waves of rich farmland and the beauty of the winding South Platte River. Drive the Pawnee Pioneer Trails Scenic Byway from Fort Morgan to the Pawnee Buttes in the national grassland.
- Visit Colorado Springs - You'll find more than 55 area attractions including trains, museums, parks, a zoo and more.
- Visit Greeley - This is your destination if you want a small-town feel with big-city attractions and unbeatable views in all directions.
Tour Guides and Tour Apps
Don't miss a thing by following an expert - a literal "Colorado Travel Guide."
- Rocky Mountain National Park Driving Tour App by Gypsy Guide -Listen to an expert tour guide automatically play interesting and entertaining commentary as you go.
- Wildland Trekking Guided Hiking Vacations - Go on an unforgettable hiking vacation. There's a tour that fits nearly anyone who loves to hike in world-renowned, breathtaking landscapes.